About the position
The Communications Director contributes to FarmSTAND’s communications and basebuilding goals through content creation, management of day-to-day communications needs related to press as well as digital platforms, collaboration with the litigation department and external coalition partners, and logistical support for communications and basebuilding projects.
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate for this position is a strong writer with a deep understanding of how traditional and digital media shape people’s understanding of issues and may be leveraged to influence targets. This person should have experience managing staff and vendors, as they will help build the communications team for FarmSTAND. This position requires strategic thinking, an interest in creative and innovative communications, and the ability to manage and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on communications products and projects.
A skilled communicator who’s interested in the intersectionality of our work would excel in this position, as we intend for our content to tell stories that challenge the dominant narratives about food, farming, and the environment. We want to hear your ideas about how to engage different audiences, and how to expand people’s understanding of issues surrounding food, farming, work, climate, racial inequity, and more. You should be interested in people and building relationships, as the work of the FarmSTAND depends on our ability to create lasting, trusting relationships with grassroots organizations whose members are directly impacted by industrial animal agriculture. Familiarity with impact litigation and legal advocacy, and the proven ability to convey complex ideas clearly, are important for this position.
- Develop communications strategies to support the advocacy goals of FarmSTAND, including narrative and message development, audience identification, press and digital strategy
- Work closely with Outreach and Organizing and Litigation Managing Directors to support the organization’s litigation and basebuilding goals
- Hire and supervise staff and vendors to support the communications needs of the organization
- Increase the organization’s capacity to write and release impactful communications products that will influence media coverage of issues relating to FarmSTAND’s litigation and issue areas
- Manage the development of written and visual content to support the communications and base building needs of FarmSTAND
- Coordinate with external coalition partners on aligned narrative and message development as well as campaigns
- Extensive experience in advocacy communications for nonprofits or political campaigns
- Understanding of and experience communicating litigation and legal advocacy
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with team members as well as with external partners
- Experience navigating and collaborating with multiple external partners on communications projects and deliverables
- Organizational skills and ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit persuasive materials
- Team-oriented with the ability to work well independently and remotely
Work structure: This is a full-time, exempt position, with a salary range of $85,000 to $100,000. Salary offer will be dependent on experience.
Benefits: We provide an outstanding benefits package that includes 14 days of annual leave, 8 days of sick leave, and holidays; employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan with an employer contribution and more!
To Apply: Send your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample or portfolio to jobs@farmSTAND.org. Writing samples ideally contain both press-related (a pitch, press release) and web/social media content. FarmSTAND is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse and progressive workplace. Women, people of color, LGBTQ applicants, people with disabilities, and veterans are all strongly encouraged to apply.